Designing a Style Manual for Your Organization
While a number of reputable generic style manuals are available for use by any organization (click on “Books” for our preference, The Chicago Manual of Style), many businesses find it beneficial to create a customized manual with guidelines for their employees to follow.
Get It Write can work with your organization to design a style manual that is specifically tailored to meet the unique needs of your business.What are the advantages of having a customized manual of style?
- Employees will get the message that accuracy, consistency, form, and style in writing are taken seriously in your business. And so will the public.
- Employees — especially new ones — have clear guidelines for bringing their documents in line with the quality of writing that distinguishes your organization.As a result, your business projects a unified, polished image.
- A customized style manual uses examples taken directly from documents that you provide — those written by your own employees. People learn more surely and quickly when the models fit the context of their work.
- A customized style manual will place special emphasis on the areas of grammar, mechanics, and usage that found to be particularly troublesome for your employees when they write.
- A customized document can change and grow to adapt to the evolving needs of your company.